Software Engineer Resume Example
Tried and tested resume example for your next job in 2023. Get a jump-start, by editing this Software Engineer resume example. Just update this example with your details, download and launch your career to new heights today!
How to write a Software Engineer resume
As per BLS, employment in software engineering will expand by 22% from 2019-2029. According to a study, the developer positions worldwide will grow from 23.9 million in 2019 to 28.7 million in 2024. And there will be more openings for computer programmer roles in the future years, and more individuals will seek the same position. It's specifically evident for higher-paying positions at leading startups and international corporations. In other words, if you have a real shot at an interview, don't wing it. To distinguish yourself in the employment market for software development, you'll have to have a CV that gets the attention of recruiters.
Whether you're beginning from zero or have an initial edition of a software engineer CV written, you'll discover all the top guidance and professional recommendations to help you turn it into a solid final applicant.
So, are you ready to get started?
What is a software engineer?
Resume writing tips for software engineer
As you would expect, the initial element of your software development resume is your contact details. It is easier than the other resume components, as most applicants get it wrong. As it happens, there's a lot more to think about than you would have anticipated.
When developing your personal details section, keep the following factors in consideration;
- Name - Add your full name and middle name may be necessary if there are multiple people with the same name.
- Job Title or Branding Statement - Include an additional subtitle underneath your name that lists your formal title or a brief summary. If you would like to be particular, you may add Entry-Level Software Engineer or identify yourself as a Full-Stack Developer.
- Email Address - Don't put off IT hiring managers by using your former school email account, for instance, email@example.com. Choose a simple, formal email address that includes only your first and last name, or establish an alias or a whole new email address if appropriate.
- Phone number - Provide your mobile phone number and add your country area code to guarantee they reach you.
- Home Address - In most circumstances, don't mention your home or postal address because it's unnecessary and takes up valuable space on your CV. Only use it if you have to emphasize that you are a local applicant for an IRL job.
- Website - For software programmer employment, a personal portfolio website is an excellent addition to your CV. Employ it to describe your previous professional, freelancing, and individual tasks.
- LinkedIn Profile - LinkedIn is used by about 95% of recruiters to make recruiting choices. Complete your account and modify it with recent data before uploading your software development resume. Perform a handful of LinkedIn's talents quizzes to obtain badges viewable to IT professionals that demonstrate your software engineer capabilities and competencies.
- GitHub URL - If you use GitHub, provide a link in your account to exhibit your tasks, repositories, and other programming activity. If you've made contributions to open source applications, many employers will offer you extra points.
Check out software engineer interview questions and how to address them.
The IT recruiters spend a total of 6 seconds going over every individual CV the first time. If they find something interesting during that instant check, your programmer's resume will be widely assessed. Otherwise, it's game over at this specific firm. So, to catch their interest, compose an enticing profile statement. The profile statement is an elevator pitch that states why a recruiter should pursue reading my resume and consider me as a software developer job applicant.
- Short and comprehensive - An excellent profile summary is simply 3-5 words long, yet it covers everything.
- Relevant Keywords - It will refer to or explicitly highlight vital talents, education, practical experience, accreditation, and other items that will help your application.
- Figures as Facts - Don't just state that you have particular technical talents or understanding of software programs. Provide the recruiter with actual data to back up your assertions. For instance, Enhanced speed and accuracy" is unclear and needs to be clarified, whereas boosted speed and efficiency by 15 percent in 6 months demonstrates your capability.
- Customized - Modify the profile statement to each software engineer's job requirements for which you are seeking. Identify the role, firm and review the job post for the employer requirements.
I am a proactive software engineer with 7+ years of software development expertise. Seeking to work with ABC Tech Inc. to create new and leading-edge enterprise solutions for the list of clientele it serves worldwide. In past jobs reduced downtime by 25% and completed projects on schedule 98% of the time. In addition, a substantial workflow bottleneck was found and addressed, which increased coding performance by 45% when handled.
- Order - The first line of your employment record section must be your job position. Add the firm name, your job location, and the start and end dates. Begin with the most current software development post and work your way backward (reverse-chronological order).
- Active Voice - Instead of using a submissive tone, employ an active voice. Saying I established and guided a team is far more compelling and productive than saying the group was established and supervised by me.
- Quantifiable Accomplishments - As a validation certifies the reliability of a file, accomplishment ratings confirm how successfully you performed previous obligations. You may state you supervised a website makeover, but you can establish you did an excellent job if you include something like, resulting in a 50% rise in revenue.
- Formatting - Make bullet points into job past accomplishments. It is best to have 3-5 main points. Also, instead of stuffing everything in there, utilize white space to make every bulleted list stand out. Employers struggle to interpret a substantial body of content in the initial 6-second review!
- Be Consistent - You can write the complete month name or shorten the location where you operated. Ensure you use the same formatting across the job experience section and other resume sections.
Your educational background may be relevant in computer programming, based on where you are applying. If you're a self-taught coder or have attended a programming bootcamp, many job requirements for software engineer professions need some university background. Even if you don't have a degree in information technology, still present your academic qualifications in the best light possible. It is necessary to understand the methods to structure the schooling portion of your senior or entry-level software engineer resume. A general guideline is that the less technical training a job applicant has, for example, an entry-level software engineer CV must provide more details to compensate.
- Degree - If you have a college education, the initial sentence of each item must include the name of your degree and your specialty. When selecting whether to use a bachelor's degree or B.Sc., stick to the name standard used in the job post. If you're pursuing a degree, for instance, state Majoring in Software Analysis and Design.
- School Information - Insert the university name, city, and country.
- Dates - Employ a similar date format as in the job experience area.
- GPA - Incorporating your grade-point score can be difficult because anything less than a flawless GPA will set them off.
- Related Coursework - Provide any university coursework that is related to the position you want. And not only in the context of software development. For instance, if you're looking to be the lead software engineer, adding the corporate leadership program you completed is an excellent approach to boost your prospects!
- Specialization - Having a minor or double specialization on your CV demonstrates that you can handle a hectic schedule and are willing to learn.
- Honors - If you passed with honors or received any academic accolades, mention them.
- Projects - Illustrate any related software development tasks, academic journals, or research papers.
Lastly, while most job postings may specify that they want somebody with a computer science or software development degree, don't give up the opportunity because your academic background does not fit. As one of the existing work fields, they may consider you for the role, specifically if you have exceptional software engineering abilities and expertise.
The abilities section of a software development CV is essential. Employers are searching for skills that are necessary to the role. Review the job specification carefully. Discover the programmer abilities they're seeking and add them in your resume skills section, if appropriate.
- Quantity - Mention the abilities that can help you obtain the software engineering job. You can find those skills in the job requirements. As a software engineer, including your expertise with Microsoft Office is usually pointless, but provide other related application programs.
- Technical - You can learn hard skills, like technical abilities, whereas soft skills, like interpersonal skills, are gained over time. Increase the emphasis on hard talents.
- Grouping - IT supervisors frequently demand that you add skill levels to show how competent you are in every aspect.
- Structure - To ensure that the ATS system reads your resume, choose a text-based form rather than bar charts or flashy visuals.
The hard skills for a software engineer are;
- Data Structures
- Machine Learning
- Web Development
- Machine learning
- Agile development methodologies
- Object-oriented programming
- C, C++
The soft skills for a software engineer;
- Creative Thinking
- Team Player
If you're putting together a CV for a software development role, the certification and accolades portion will provide you the maximum value for your cash. If you are willing to add this part, some few lines you mention here may be the most influential elements on your resume. Why? Credentials and honors, especially online credentials, inherently demonstrate a certain degree of technical abilities and expertise, specifically when issued by a well-known institution. To optimize resume phrases, we suggest writing down the complete name and providing the acronym in parenthesis. Moreover, if you have many certificates and honors, try categorizing them separately. Otherwise, a single part incorporating both is sufficient.
Projects & Tasks
Software engineers are an enthusiastic, devoted, and innovative group, and you're bound to have some personal projects, open software efforts, or part-time work. These computer side initiatives are beneficial in gaining the employer's approval. But first, let's work out where to display your professional developers in the way possible. For lower-level software development employment with limited industry experience, an individual initiatives component on a CV is a valid option. Include a handful of your most proud works, whether you're composing an entry-level software design resume or a CV for a software programming internship role.
Maintaining these tasks reveals that you aren't simply in it for the money but are interested in software engineering. However, mid-level and senior software developer resume provide a URL to a digital portfolio. As an experienced software developer, you'll require all the space you can get on your CV, and so an electronic tasks portfolio is preferable. But, if you happen to have any extra space, by all means, add them! And, if you've opted to include initiatives on your CV explicitly, here's what you must do;
- When describing many projects, divide them into subtopics such as Technical Projects and Other Projects.
- Title - Specify the sort of work like Android Application or "eCommerce Chatbot" are two possibilities. If you have an internet site with details about the work, highlight the title and link your website.
- Description - Provide a brief overview of the task in no more than three lines. Also, describe the issue it addressed, why you built it, and, if appropriate, the customer.
An entry-level programmer's resume must be around one page long, and an advanced applicant may have a curriculum vitae that is no more than two pages long. If your side project's CV section is too lengthy, replace it with an URL to a web portfolio of work.
The categories listed previously are among the most preferred and crucial elements to add to a resume for software engineer jobs, but other segments may also boost your prospects. The objective is to personalize each resume to a specific software developer job requirement instead of submitting one standard resume worldwide. Here are a few more additional sections to think about for an excellent software engineer curriculum vitae;
- Language - Including languages you're proficient in with a degree of skill is an excellent addition, particularly if you're entering an international company.
- Volunteer work - Volunteering demonstrates your personality, dedication, and principles. Any job applicant who includes a section on voluntary work will undoubtedly gain some advantages.
- Publications - Send the employer a couple of references to journals you've written about software development, containerization, or data processing.
- Memberships & Associations - Emphasize your commitment to computer science, IT, and software development in specific by naming professional associations to which you are an associate.
- Hobbies and interests - may appear insignificant initially, but they, like volunteer work, assist in presenting you as a person rather than just a prospect. If you have any additional space on your resume template, try to include hobbies and activities relevant to the role you want.
- Courses - If you attended software engineering classes that were not associated with a particular academic program, for instance, University of New Zealand's, Fundamentals to Systems Engineering on edX), list them separately from your education section. Do the same for classes you completed to explain additional talents, like management, communication, or organization.
- Additional Activities - Include other experiences or hobbies that might help you score that software engineering job interview and no place to display them. On your CV template, insert a category labeled Additional Activities. If you have attended any seminars, workshops, conducted side projects, and other hobbies, then incorporate them here.
FAQs Software Engineer
Q1. What are the action verbs for a software engineer resume?
It's necessary to inject more strength and activity into your CV to demonstrate your confidence and participation. Here are some concrete action verbs to use at the beginning of every bullet point in the software engineer resume;
Q2. What skills to put on a software engineer resume?
Programmer's resumes mostly contain a distinct Skills portion that outlines their tech knowledge in bullet point style. It is an excellent method since recruiters can rapidly review your CV to see what expertise you have. To describe your hard talents, name some of your abilities in the following categories;
- Programming languages
- Operating systems
- Data structures
- Database software
- Web frameworks
- API design
- Debugging tools
- Project management tools
- UI and UX design skills
- Self-driven attitude
- Communication skills
- Conflict resolution skills
- Troubleshooting skills
- User-centric mindset
- Leadership skills
Q3. What is the best font for a software engineer resume?
Your resume serves as the initial imprint you create on the potential employer and is a vital aspect of your self-promotion.
- Calibri is a formal and easily readable sans-serif typeface. Although, it's a standard typeface.
- Cambria is a serif typeface that is simple to understand, particularly with tiny letter sizes. But, it may be perceived as overly conventional or old-fashioned.
- Helvetica is a sans-serif font that is basic and recognizable. If you have a Windows machine, you will have to buy it.
- Georgia is a serif typeface like Cambria, which is relaxing on the eyes. It's a generic typeface and won't draw attention to your creative sensibilities.
- Verdana is Georgia's sans-serif sibling, is ideal for smaller typefaces. The disadvantage of using Verdana is that it will not give any wow element to your resume.
- Garamond is a stylish serif from the 1400s. Although, given that it is 600 years old, some may regard this typeface to be obsolete.
Aside from the typefaces you use, ensure sure the font size is larger than 10pt. For names, job positions, business names, the normal text size is 12pt, but you may increase the font or bold the text for significance. Aside from typefaces, you must consider white space, color palettes, and format.
Q4. How long should a software engineer resume be?
If you are a graduate student or a beginner developer, a single page is enough. But, if you're a senior developer, you might require up to two pages to address all of the relevant details that may consider you a suitable choice. Also, your resume must be as brief as necessary and as appropriate to the position you want. Why? On one side, professional recruiters spend less than 7 seconds scanning through a résumé. But, more likely, the single-page or two-page restriction forces you to mention only the most valuable experiences and accomplishments. When composing your CV, ensure that the emphasized capabilities, expertise, and successes correspond to the job specification of each unique job. It implies optimizing your resume for each job you want.
Software Engineer Resume Example
Software Engineer Resume Professional Summary
With over eight years of expertise in software programming for fields such as medical, healthcare, industrial robotics, telecommunications, and power utilizing C# and Microsoft.net platform. Have prior experience working with a project model such as the scaled agile approach. Comprehensive understanding of product testing, automation, and the design, development, and implementation of test scenarios, testing requirements, and test procedures. Competence to investigate, study, and comprehend unique business topics and technologies.
Software Engineer Resume Skills
- SQL Server Express
- Ms SQL Compact Internet Tools FxCop
- Jenkins, Hudson
- Code Collaborator
Software Engineer Resume Job Description
- Recording software flaws, utilizing a bug monitoring system and disclosing flaws to software engineers.
- Detecting, evaluating, and verifying issues with a program's operation, results, digital screen, or material.
- Reviewing the bug resolution process, evaluating accomplishments, and building or updating the database of known test flaws are all part of the job.
- Preparing test timelines or techniques in compliance with project scope or deadlines.
- Contributed to product development assessments to offer feedback on functional requirements, product specification, timelines, and possible difficulties.
- Examine software records to guarantee technical correctness, compliance, conciseness to reduce risks.
Software Engineer Manager Resume Example
Software Engineer Manager Resume Professional Summary
Determined problem solver who uses cognitive, creative, and technological talents to oversee the full software building lifecycle. Competent hands-on supervisor with a track record of designing tools to monitor sales increase and promotional strategies for recognized and start-up businesses. Acknowledged outstanding managerial and product development talents while managing cross-functional workgroups in fast-paced, dynamic work situations. Experience in efficient operational architecture in client/server/enterprise software design and SaaS/SOA programming.
Software Engineer Manager Resume Skills
- Systems Engineering
- Software Development
- Hardware Integration Testing
- Oracle Reports
Software Engineer Manager Resume Job Description
- Through a reconfiguration, the image analysis program's dependability and performance increased signiﬁcantly, from 110,000 resources a day to nine million, cutting the six-week manual operation to one day.
- Completed all tasks on schedule and under budget.
- Demonstrated history of attracting, promoting, and maintaining exceptional people and constructing world-class technology groups.
- I was responsible for a group of 30 programmers and coaching, progress, performance review, and work satisfaction.
- Aided teams in the distribution scoring process; compliance to the timeliness, system testing, and constraints.
- Lead organizational changes that allow your teams to produce higher-quality results more quickly.
Senior Software Engineer Resume Example I
Senior Software Engineer Resume Professional Summary
Proactive software engineer with seven years of commercial software programming expertise. Excited to work with Cyclone Inc. to create new and cutting-edge enterprise solutions for the amazing list of clientele it serves throughout the world. In prior jobs, reduced downtime by 28% and guaranteed that projects were completed on schedule 99% of the time. Also detected and overcame an overall demand blockage, which increased computational performance by 38% when addressed.
Senior Software Engineer Resume Skills
- Cloud Infrastructure AWS
- Graphite Methodologies Waterfall
- Agile - Scrum, Kanban
Senior Software Engineer Resume Job Description
- Enhanced corporate efficiency by delivering extensive root-cause assessments of pricing-relevant issues to sellers.
- To increase reliability, uniformity, and customer pleasure, integrated the product portfolio across the entire site and mobile systems.
- Verified that the defined software process and Software Development Life Cycle for the tasks.
- Implemented software evaluations to confirm agreement with best practices for developing applications.
- At a rapid speed, generated well-known, high-quality configuration.
- Conversed with many stakeholders within the engineering faculty.
Junior Software Engineer Resume Example
Junior Software Engineer Resume Professional Summary
To perform the role of Junior Software Engineer, a competent applicant with a piece of knowledge and capabilities in exclusive computer science. From formal schooling to on-the-job experience, ready to help software experts design and modify software and technology initiatives. Responsible for making sure that operations and outcomes always exceed the expectations of customers from client counseling to surveillance devices.
Junior Software Engineer Resume Skills
- Microsoft certified programmer
- Operations and systems analysis
- Program and software development
- Creative problem solver
- Report and presentation
- Team player
Junior Software Engineer Resume Job Description
- Examine the possibilities and limits of alternative interface behaviors with computer programmers, systems analysts, developers, and architects.
- Evaluate new and updated apps and document results for the demonstration to the design team.
- Contact for clients who want to talk about software, design systems, or service.
- Facilitate the deployment of software systems and supervise end users to ensure that standards are met.
- Produce a report on software specifications and client demands that are used to analyze the evaluation process, financial limits, and time deadlines.
- Forecast and assess the effects of projects using statistical formulas and research.
Software Engineering Intern Resume Example
Software Engineering Intern Resume Objective Statement
Software engineering graduate seeking real-world industry experience. Fascinated to know more about the creation of mobile programs and affordable software. Successfully implemented technology networks in low-income neighborhoods, assisting a new group of pupils in becoming electronically literate.
Software Engineering Intern Resume Skills
- Agile frameworks
- Communication skills
- Status tracking frameworks (Jira and Rally)
- SQL and database concepts
- Cybersecurity principles
Software Engineering Intern Resume Job Description
- Facilitated trinity Software's evaluation and development procedures.
- Verified that the finished software fulfilled the client's needs.
- Finished servicing on existing projects.
- Collaboration with the production team on the scope of future initiatives and developments.
- Performed operational diagnosis, inspection, and modification continually.
- Addressed a severe process constraint, which increased computational efficiency by 45% when rectified.
Senior Software Engineer Resume Example II
Senior Software Engineer Resume Professional Summary
Highly talented and dedicated senior software engineer with eleven years of industry experience. Employed ASP.NET Web Forms and MVC Razor to increase the efficiency of 28 apps. By reviewing and enhancing app monetization tactics, generated revenue by 20%. Looking to maximize and strengthen A&M's amazing range of apps by using established software design and technical expertise.
Senior Software Engineer Resume Skills
- Web Services
Senior Software Engineer Resume Job Description
- Created cutting-edge microsystems and web applications including SOA/XML.
- Employed cloud foundation for efficient construction on top of Kubernetes.
- Team-engineered software that is effectively distributed and integrated, and updated system and release scripts, are used to enhance continuous integration techniques.
- Collaboration with product managers to develop minimal feasible product specifications and well-specified feature-based for teammates, which were then converted into well-scoped user experiences.
Staff Software Engineer Resume Example
Staff Software Engineer Resume Professional Summary
7+ years of expertise in entire software production lifecycle and quality control in the retail sector, with excellent analytical reasoning, problem-solving, organization, and time management abilities, and exceptional attention to detail and precision. Proven expertise in system testing, involving process development, automated testing, diagnostics, and root-cause identification.
Staff Software Engineer Resume Skills
- Automated Testing
Staff Software Engineer Resume Job Description
- Designed and organized QA following audit standards.
- Established several Java libraries to help with concurrency, data processing, and resource validity checks.
- Utilizing PHP and database systems, developed and produced a web-based assessment network for user input.
- Recorded, evaluated, and structured faults while communicating with the project team to guarantee rapid machine repairs.
- Improve efficiency and processes by addressing video troubles using documentation talents and team collaboration.
Lead Embedded Software Engineer Resume Example
Lead Embedded Software Engineer Resume Professional Summary
An ambitious and self-directed Lead Software Engineer with over 11 years of industry experience constructing, implementing, and measuring wide-scale computer and integrated devices in the medical field. Experienced in process-oriented software design. Proficient in functioning in a team setting and individually. I am always looking for new opportunities and want to broaden my education and experience.
Lead Embedded Software Engineer Resume Skills
- Linux and Windows
- Software Applications/Debugging Tools: ClearCase/ClearQuest
- QNX Momentics
Lead Embedded Software Engineer Resume Job Description
- Conducted application validation, standardization, and system testing on the equipment and in the simulator.
- Collaboration with systems development on validating and accepting new criteria formulations.
- Presented and certified prototype and viability assessments for revised paradigms and designs.
- Generated computer recognition test strategies, organized reviews, and documented processes and procedures.
- Provided high technical meetings and interactive product and system demos to clients and brought technical knowledge to them.
4205 Park Boulevard
Lamoni, IA 50140
3620 Jenna Lane
Des Moines, IA 50309
2083 Anmoore Road
Brooklyn, NY 11201